Create LVM Volume on Blockdevice

Stefan Schörghofer amd1212 at vier-ringe.at
Tue Jul 7 15:18:35 CEST 2015

Hello List,

I am currently trying to create a LVM Volume directly on the block
device /dev/sdb.

My current Diskconfig looks like this:
# DATAVG
disk_config sdb disklabel:msdos

disk_config lvm
vg datavg sdb
datavg-datalv /data 8G xfs rw

I played around with many of the parameters like "always_format" and
everything in the documentation that looked promising.

Using the current Diskconfig file i always get this log lines:
Starting setup-storage 1.7
Empty disk_config stanza for device /dev/sdb
Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/DATADISK
Error in task partition. Code: 710
Traceback: task_error task_partition task task_install task task_action
task main

When i try the remove the whole "disk_config sdb" part then
setup-storage tries to resize the existing vg and is failing doing that.

I am using fai version 4.3.1+deb8u1 out of the Debian Jessie
repositories.

Here is the main question, is it possible to create a pv directly on a
block device without having a partition?

Additional question where i failed before: Is it possible to do the
same for the rootvg and boot from an "bootlv"? For the root disk i
currently use one /boot partition and the rest in an LVM.

Thanks!
best regars,
Stefan Schörghofer