Source dir for fcopy

Norberto Meijome numard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 13:17:26 CET 2015

inline below..

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 9:03 PM, Holger Parplies <wfai at parplies.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Norberto Meijome wrote on 2015-01-22 12:08:56 +1100 [Source dir for fcopy]:
> > I want to use fcopy to push a set of initial ssh pub keys to the root
> user
> > in the host being built, i.e., /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
> > [...]
> > 1. I understand FAI/files is the default source dir for fcopy... alas, I
> > have FAI=*/data/f*ai/config in /etc/fai/fai.conf
> >
> > variables.log in a newly built host shows
> > FAI=*/var/lib/fai/*config <<<< why not the value in /etc/fai/fai.conf?
>
> because it's mounted to /var/lib/fai on the client to be installed.

aha. that makes sense then . must have missed it in the docs...

> > in the script of my class, I have
> > fcopy -i -v -s /data/fai/config/files/ /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
> >
> > ( to avoid the confusion from #1 above)...
>
> Actually, you are creating the confusion you want to avoid :-). It seems to
> be quite common in the IT world that things that "just work" stop just
> working
> when people start "fixing things" in anticipation of a problem :-). As Dirk
> suggested, leave out the -s option, and you should be fine.

:D yeah..but it wasn't working without it either, that's why i added it ;-)

> In case it's not obvious, if the *script* containing the fcopy command
> (under
> $FAI/scripts) is found, it is more than likely that the referenced files
> (under
> $FAI/files) will be found, too.
>
> > [...]
> > But I do have the file :)
> > (on my fai-server...) find /data/fai/config/files/root/
> Yes, but the script is not run on the FAI server. On the *client*,
> fai-server:/data/fai/config is mounted to /var/lib/fai/config, so that's
> where you'll find the files.

^^^^^^ that is the perfect explanation :) i may go through the docs to make
sure it's included :)

thanks so much for the explanation!

--
Norberto 'Beto' Meijome