slightly OT: lightdm problem with ubuntu 15.10

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 22 19:08:27 CET 2015

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that didnt' help.  I have 2
almost identical machines. One I installed ubuntu 15.10 on from a cd.
The other is my fai test machine. They are both Dell Optiplex 760s.

I piped the output from "dpkg --get-selections' to a file on both
machines and then I did a diff. Then I took the output from diff,
grepped for lines starting with a less than, and redirected it to a
file. Then I turned that file into an FAI packages config file. First I
did a fai softupdate. When that didn't work, I did a complete reinstall.
So now doing the dpkg and diff again shows no packages on the
ubuntu-from-cd machine  that aren't also on the fai machine.

Of course, there are a lot of packages on the fai machine that are not
on the ubuntu machine.