FAI initramfs-tools breaks console-setup

Robert Markula robert at markula.org
Thu Nov 13 09:36:51 CET 2014

Hello,

have there been changes to initramfs-tools in the FAI wheezy
repositories lately?

Yesterday I noticed that apt fails on some Ubuntu 14.04 clients with
this error message:

<snip>
  initramfs-tools : Breaks: console-setup (< 1.72) but 1.70ubuntu8 is
to be installed.
      Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     console-common [Not Installed]
2)     console-setup [Not Installed]
3)     kbd [Not Installed]
</snip>

Running fai-setup propagates these errors to the nfsroot with the
result that during client install this error is present as well, so
console-setup is not installed, which breaks a few things like virtual
terminals from the 'createvt' flag.

Removing the FAI debian wheezy repository resolves this issue.

Btw, is the FAI repository required for building the NFSroot (running
fai-setup and/or fai-nfsroot) or can I remove it once fai-server has
been installed?

Cheers,

Robert