Kernel panic - FAI 4.1.1

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Wed May 7 09:35:13 CEST 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 19:36 +0100, Rui Teixeira wrote:

> I'm trying to test official FAI-CD. All mouting and unpack ISO were
> ok, but booting image from USB stick results in black screen. Grub
> menu appears, selecting any option promp user and password, ok, then
> all disapear and result in black screen without any message.
>

> Any idea?

I had somewhat similar symptoms on a non-PAE enabled CPU some time ago.
This was a Via C3 chip from approximately year 2007. IIRC, my machine
just rebooted after unpacking the kernel. The workaround was to use a
non-PAE ("486" series) kernel.

As already suggested, try the USB stick on some "regular" computer,
preferably one which has successfully booted similar kernels before.

Toomas