Version 4.2 backward incompatibility?

Norman Schmidt Jr norman at norman.com.br
Sat Jun 21 04:55:36 CEST 2014

In early May, I set up a Debian box with FAI official Debian package
(2.0.8), configured it to generate ISOs using a partial mirror made with
fai-mirror. It worked as a charm, until a couple of days ago.
I needed to add some packages and change a couple of files, so I needed
to fai-make-nfsroot and fai-mirror. After that, any ISO I generate start
to boots but stops with some errors:
http://i.imgur.com/oZVDPxo.png
While investigating, I noticed the ISOs I generate days ago were
reporting version 4.1.1 or 4.0.8 during installation, and the new ones
generated after that nfsroot and mirror rebuilding were reporting
version 4.2.
The only way I could get a generated ISOs to boot and install correctly
again was commenting off the FAI repository from
/etc/fai/apt/sources.list, and rebuilding the nfsroot and the local
mirror. This way it uses FAI 4.0.8 from the Debian repository, and not
4.2 from FAI repository, and everything works.
So Im guessing there is some backward incompatibility between versions
<= 4.1.1 and 4.2?
Norm