Best way to add a nfs4 mount to fstab ?

Holger Parplies wfai at parplies.de
Tue Jun 17 23:26:08 CEST 2014

Hi,

Prunk Dump wrote on 2014-06-16 09:36:14 +0200 [Best way to add a nfs4 mount to fstab ?]:
> Excuse my simple question but my Fai clients need to have a nfs mount
> in their /etc/fstab

> myhomeserver.domain.com:/userhome    /home     nfs4
> sec=krb5,async,ac     0  0
>
> What is the best way to add this line to fstab ? Is this possible
> directly with setup-storage ?

setup-storage is about generating a layout for the local storage media, not
about configuring the system.

Do you need the mount during installation? Most probably not. The usual way
would be something like

scripts/SOMECLASS/10-add-home-mount:

#!/bin/sh

ainsl -s $target/etc/fstab 'myhomeserver.domain.com:/userhome    /home     nfs4  sec=krb5,async,ac     0  0'

# --- cut here ---

If you actually *do* need the mount during installation, you're probably doing
something wrong ;-) (because you're either modifying a system you're not
currently installing, or retrieving data from somewhere it doesn't belong.
Furthermore, you're adding an unwanted dependency: no installation of the
client without access to the home server. You'd need to mount the directory
in a script or hook, depending on when you need it. At what point in time you
add it to fstab doesn't really matter, except that you might not want to keep
the information redundantly in two places, i.e. you probably want to add it
whenever you do the mount.

Regards,
Holger