Not using fai-chboot (was: FAI failure behavior)

Peter Keller psilord at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 12 16:14:31 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 11:43:32AM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > hang with the default generated localboot 0 line. I have to use something
>     > like this instead:
>
>     > LABEL fai-generated
>     >     MENU LABEL Boot from first hard drive
>     >     COM32 chain.c32
>     >     APPEND hd0
>
>     > If that ALWAYS works, and localboot 0 sometimes fails, maybe fai-chboot
>     > should be changed to emit the above instead?
> If this works for you, just save it to /srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg/default.
> Then the task chboot will use it for your install clients after they
> finished their installation.

I understand, but if someone (in my group) does the unfortunate thing
of running fai-chboot -o default, it'll overwrite it with a non-working
default. Maybe there could be a feature where fai-chboot could read
the /etc/fai/fai.conf file and there could be a new attribute in there
pointing to a file which is the new default. If the attribute isn't
present, do the current behavior.

>     > I do have one question though, in the fai-monitor output I see this:
>     > (none) check
>     > (none) TASKBEGIN confdir
>     > (none) TASKEND confdir 0
>     > (none) TASKBEGIN setup
>     > (none) TASKEND setup 0
>     > ....
>     > The installing client machine has the ability to map the ip address dhcp
>     > gave it back to a name and the fai server can too. I'm not entirely sure
>     > why I see (none) there.
> Did you have
>    use-host-decl-names on;
> in your dhcpd.conf?