i386 nfsroot

Holger Parplies wfai at parplies.de
Mon Jul 14 23:12:21 CEST 2014

linux-service.be bvba wrote on 2014-07-14 20:08:10 +0200 [Re: i386 nfsroot]:
> Op maandag 14 juli 2014 19:43:49 schreef Holger Parplies:
> > [...]
> > there *was* a
> > wheezy update released on Saturday, so mirror inconsistency seems a possible
> > explanation. I recommend trying again :).
> > [...]
>
> see errors below

See comment above :-).

It will be *absolutely impossible* for anyone to reproduce your problem
without knowing *which mirror* you were redirected to, and at which point
in time. Even with that information, it will be hard to travel back in
time and look at that mirror back then. And not particularly interesting
on top :-).

*Did* you actually try again?

> setting the mirror as wheezy http://ftp.belnet.be/debian in nfsroot.conf
> builds a i386 mirror correct.

Builds a mirror? You mean an nfsroot?
That probably means that using http://http.debian.net/debian would have
worked for anyone who happens to be redirected to ftp.belnet.be. Also,
anyone who had whatever URL you were directed to in his configuration,
and who would have been redirected to a *different* mirror by http.debian.net
might have had the same problems with a debootstrap done at the same time,
and they would have been *avoided* by using http.debian.net.

What I'm saying: it is extremely likely that *your* problem has nothing to
do with FAI and everything with a mirror that was out of sync. Unless there
is some evidence that http.debian.net does not work correctly (and I suspect
someone might have noticed?), I see nothing wrong with using this value - by
default or as deliberate selection.

For the fun of it, I just debootstrapped wheezy from whatever http.debian.net
redirects me to and had no problems.

> Setting up dracut (038-1) ...
> dracut: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-686-pae
> dpkg: error processing dracut (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

This is not even part of the debootstrap process. Even so, I can also install
dracut and the linux-image package without problems. dracut does complain about
some missing directories (I probably missed some packages required for
sensible system operation), but the postinst finishes without error.

Your "error exit status 1" could even be the result of a transient failure on
your machine. How many times did you reproduce it?

Without having tried a full make-fai-nfsroot, I'd dare to say "works for me".

Regards,
Holger