packages avail during install

Holger Parplies wfai at parplies.de
Tue Jul 8 16:41:14 CEST 2014

Hi,

Thomas Neumann wrote on 2014-07-08 09:36:55 +0200 [Re: packages avail during install]:
> On Monday 07 July 2014 17:42:58 Peter Keller wrote:
> > During the installation procedure in FAI 4.2, I found I need a certain
> > package. [...]
>
> If you just want to install a package in the nfsroot you can do
>
>   chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot su -
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get install <package>
>
> [...]
> There's no need to completely rebuild the nfsroot.

you just need to keep in mind that if you *do* rebuild the nfsroot later on
the package will "vanish", unless you also add it to /etc/fai/NFSROOT (so you
should probably do that, even if you skip rebuilding the nfsroot :).

Another thing to note is that 'apt-get' by default installs recommended
packages along with your selection. You can avoid that either by using

	apt-get --no-install-recommends install <package>

or, once and for all, by putting the line

	APT::Install-Recommends "false";

in a file $NFSROOT/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/95norecommends (which will probably
disappear, too, if you rebuild the nfsroot, so you should copy it to
/etc/fai/apt/apt.conf.d).

Regards,
Holger