Multiarch nfsroot for multiarch install?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Feb 21 12:05:59 CET 2014

    > I was struggling with getting multiarch install to work as described
    > in http://wiki.fai-project.org/wiki/Tips_and_tricks, section "Debian
    > wheezy and MuliArch" [*] . Everything seemed to be done correctly, but
    > FAI kept printing the message

    > WARNING: These unknown packages are removed from the installation list: acroread:i386
This works for me like a charm. Using FAI 4.1, there's the hook
updatebase.DEBIANm which includes these lines:

# you may want to add i386 arch to amd64 hosts
# if ifclass AMD64; then
#     $ROOTCMD dpkg --add-architecture i386
# fi

When I remove these comments and also add
  acroread:i386
to my package_config file, acroread is installed without any problems.
No need for calling add-architecture inside the nfsroot.

    > that the "dpkg --add-architecture i386" needs to be executed *both* in
    > the nfsroot (without the $ROOTCMD prefix) as well as inside the chroot
    > (that is, prefixed with $ROOTCMD). This is because the installable
    > package list is checked by the /usr/sbin/install_packages script,
    > apparently against the apt database from the nfsroot, not against the
Are you sure? When I call dpkg --print-foreign-architectures on my
install client during installation (that's inside the nfsroot) it
prints nothing. So, no foreign architecture was added inside the
nfsroot, but still my client installs acroread:i386 fine.

    > [*] Note: please also fix the typo in "MuliArch"!
It's fixed.