fai 4.1 can't boot with multi ethernet box

Alex Mestiashvili alex at biotec.tu-dresden.de
Fri Feb 7 13:56:15 CET 2014

Hi All,

Just tried the new FAI 4.1 installed on a wheezy box.
nfsroot has FAI4.1 packages installed.

It seems that dracut fails to detect the correct interface on a multi
ethernet server.

in the past I could solve the issue by defining in the
/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf the following:

  DEVICE=eth0

Is there a way to do the same with dracut ?

That's what happening during boot:

kernel is loaded via pxe, all fine

than I get the following

starting dhcp for interface eth0
<skip>...
links becomes ready,
dhcp failed

and so on till eth3,

after that I get the following:

dracut: Mounted root filesystem 192.168.0.40:/srv/fai/nfsroot
aufs 3.2.x
warning can't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
dracut: Switching root
switch_root: failed to execute /sbin/init: Not a directory
Kernel panic - not syncing ...

if I try with live nfsroot ( make-fai-nfsroot -l )

than at the end I am getting a shell and can see that faiserver is
actually mounted to the client

and the very last line in /run/initramfs/idsosreport.txt is:

  dracut Warning: Could not boot.

any hint ?

thanks,
Alex