No atapi cdrom found

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Tue Dec 23 11:15:22 CET 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 15:46 +0100, Thierry Ranson wrote:
> Im going to try setting my ISO on USB... By the way is it possible for
> me to run the install with the scripts "manually" from another kernel?
> I've been browsing the fai ISO but I don't really get the steps of the
> install. There probably is a script that launches everything since its
> an automatic install but I haven't found it in the ISO. This could
> probably help me. Sorry if my messages are confused I'm not very
> familiar with all of this but I'm ready to make big efforts.

The whole "magic" on FAI starts from a single symbolic link: in the
nfsroot , /etc/init.d/rcS is not a script as usual, but a link
to /usr/sbin/fai. As you probably know, the inittab instructs init to
run that script as one of the first things during boot.

So if you manage to boot a kernel and mount the FAI nfsroot (from CD,
from network, or otherwise) as root file system (chroot should work
too), you should just start the /usr/sbin/fai script from command prompt
to get the install going.

(Never tried it myself, so there may be details I am unaware of).

Best regards,

Toomas Tamm