GPT partition labels via setup-storage

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Wed Aug 20 12:35:46 CEST 2014

On Wed, 2014-08-20 at 11:19 +0200, Thomas Neumann wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 August 2014 16:11:47 Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> > Is it possible to set labels on individual partitions with setup-storage
> > when GPT is being used?
>
> Do you want to set a label so you can mount the filesystem by using that label
> or do you want something else entirely. If you just want to use labels for
> mounting then this has nothing to do with GPT. The label is provided via the
> filesystem. You could use createopts to set the label:
>
> primary  /  2G-  ext3  rw  createopts="-L root"
>
> (from the top of my head, please refer to the documentation if setup-storage
>  complains)

Nope, this is from GPT. For example, in parted, use the "name" command
to set a name on the partition. Below is an example (assigned manually
after a FAI build). Ceph will find all the various partitions and
assemble itself based on what it finds.

GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/sdc
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted)
print
Model: ATA INTEL SSDSC2BA20 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 200GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name          Flags
 1      1049kB  17.2GB  17.2GB               ceph journal
 2      17.2GB  34.4GB  17.2GB               ceph journal
 3      34.4GB  51.5GB  17.2GB               ceph journal
 4      51.5GB  68.7GB  17.2GB               ceph journal

(parted) quit

Cheers,
Andrew