[setup-storage] How to resize?

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Sun Aug 17 13:41:08 CEST 2014

Hello

Who uses the resize facility of setup-storage and what are working
configurations?

I'm doing some modifications on Commands.pm. To make sure I'm not introducing
new bugs I wanted to synthesize some configurations to test the various code
paths. Support for resizing seems to be very limited:

 == Resizing an xfs filesystem ==

Executing: parted -s /dev/sda resize 1 2098200576B 3146776575B
Command had non-zero exit code

manually executing the command yields

# parted -s /dev/sda resize 1 2098200576B 3146776575B
WARNING: you are attempting to use parted to operate on (resize) a file
system.
parted's file system manipulation code is not as robust as what you'll find in
dedicated, file-system-specific packages like e2fsprogs.  We recommend
you use parted only to manipulate partition tables, whenever possible.
Support for performing most operations on most types of file systems
will be removed in an upcoming release.
No Implementation: Support for opening xfs file systems is not implemented
yet.

 == Resizing an ext3 filesystem ==

INTERNAL ERROR in setup-storage:
ext3 partition start supposed to move, which is not allowed
Please report this error to the Debian Bug Tracking System.
 at /usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Commands.pm line 1077
	FAI::setup_partitions('PHY_/dev/sda') called at /usr/share/fai/setup-
storage//Commands.pm line 1241
	FAI::build_disk_commands called at ./setup-storage line 243

 == Resizing an empty partition ==

Executing: parted -s /dev/sda resize 1 2098200576B 3146776575B
Command had non-zero exit code

manually executing the command yields

# parted -s /dev/sda resize 1 2098200576B 3146776575B
WARNING: you are attempting to use parted to operate on (resize) a file
system.
parted's file system manipulation code is not as robust as what you'll find in
dedicated, file-system-specific packages like e2fsprogs.  We recommend
you use parted only to manipulate partition tables, whenever possible.
Support for performing most operations on most types of file systems
will be removed in an upcoming release.
Error: Could not detect file system.

bye
thomas