Will FAI work to install F19?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Sun Sep 1 14:31:12 CEST 2013

    > The Wiki reads (according to Google, dated 01/02/2013) "FAI can
    > install different Linux distributions like Redhat, CentOS, Scientific
    > Linux Cern, Fedora, openSUSE, SuSE, Ubuntu and of course Debian."
FAI can install all those distributions, and users have reported
using FAI with these distributions.
The FAI team focuses on installing Debian with FAI.
For some distributions the support is not perfect, since users only
report that FAI is working for them, but they do not send patches
needed for a certain version of distribution.

    > 3. Explain clearly -and early ie: main page and wiki- if Fedora 19+ is
    > supported, and if each new release of a given distro needs "basefiles"
    > compiled/packaged by the FAI devs, or new releases of a supported
    > distro are immediately supported without extra effort by the FAI
    > maintainers or if FAI always has to play catch up... (that is still
    > not clear to me).
A basefile is a tarball of the minimal set of packages needed for a
certain distribution. They are needed for every distribution. For rpm based
distribution the package rinse creates those basefiles. rinse
currently has no support Fedora 19+ yet. There are patches available
for Fedora 17 support for rinse, and I guess adding Fedora 19 support
should not be that hard.

Support for a new version of a distribution normally does not need any
change in FAI. But sometimes new added techniques (like upstart or
systemd) need changes in rinse or FAI.