grub-install fails on software RAID

Iordan Iordanov iordan at cdf.toronto.edu
Tue Oct 29 22:31:29 CET 2013

Hello Thomas,

On the topic of FAI installs on RAIDed devices, is configuring RAID onto
whole-disk devices now supported?

For example, our typical simple server is installed on a RAID1 mirror
(/dev/md0) which sits on top of two unpartitioned devices /dev/sda and
/dev/sdb. The partitions on the RAID device show up as /dev/md0p1,
/dev/md0p2, etc.

This way, if a drive fails there is no preparation for the replacement
drive necessary (partitioning), and since grub is installed onto the
other device, it gets automatically synced by md.

We now use a custom hook to create this for us, but we'd like to move
away from that and use built-in FAI functionality.

We also have more complicated set-ups, like a RAID10 device with near
offset and two copies onto 6 disks (/dev/sda .. /dev/sdf). Two of those
disks end up with a chunk containing the boot-loader at the start of the
disk and are set as the boot devices. The same benefits to ease of
replacement apply.

Thanks for any input!
iordan iordanov