Using a newer kernel (than wheezy) and dracut

Steffen Grunewald Steffen.Grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Tue Nov 5 16:48:28 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 09:49:09PM +0100, Carsten Aulbert wrote:

> however, installations always stopped prior to mounting the NFSroot with
> "mount.nfs: Protocol not supported". It seems that one needs to manually
> add the kernel drivers nfsv{2,3,4} among others when using a kernel 3.6
> or later *or* upgrade to a much newer dracut than the one in wheezy
> (020) [2].
>
> A simple backport of the current 034 version from jessie works fine as well.

As live-boot seems to resolve the "multiple interfaces with DHCP" issue,
I haven't migrated to dracut (yet). It turns out that, to install the
current sid/jessie kernel (3.11-1), it's sufficient to also upgrade
the initramfs-tools (to 0.110 or higher, Wheezy is at 0.109).
No backport needed at all.
Checking the initrd contents, I found all the nfsv[234] modules, as
well as aufs and other stuff.
Hopefully that's all that's needed to get FAI running even with newer
kernels. (Of course, one has to provide the linux-image and initramfs-tools
packages for installation.)

> Hopefully this will help others to save some time ;)

It would have saved even more time if there wasn't a new Intel eth i/f
every week...

- S