RAID1

andrew bezella abezella at archive.org
Tue May 28 22:25:04 CEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 19:26 +0000, Marius Korthof wrote:
> Hi,

[...]
> I'm assuming this RAID1 setup is supposed to work or is this a known problem? Any hints/fixes/workarounds? TIA

hello -

i'm not using the same versions, but two potential issues come to mind.

one is that i believe grub2 (grub-pc) no longer installs onto md arrays
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub-installer/+bug/462171 -
i also saw this on a squeeze -> wheezy upgrade of a home pc).  the other
is that (as of the last time it was working for me) grub2 only supported
the .90 metadata
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/527401 - this may
no longer be a real issue in light of the first).

i'm not sure if either would explain all your symptoms.  i'd suggest
trying to install grub on all disks underneath the array; it's
conceivable that the system is set to boot to something other than
sda(?)  personally i don't edit BOOT_DEVICE, but have changed
GRUB_PC/10-setup to install on sda/sdb instead of md0.

hth.  sorry for the ubuntu-specific links, but those're easier for me to
track down right now.

andy

--
andrew bezella <abezella at archive.org>