Exit return values in hooks. 701 does not work in hook

Steven Wend swend at stud.hs-bremen.de
Wed May 8 12:00:56 CEST 2013

Hello guys,

I try to use the STOP_ON_ERROR value (it is 700) in a hook script. On an
error I decided to return the value 701 like "exit 701". But this is not
working for me.

I red the linux doc for bash scripts and it is said that only byte is used
to represent a returnvalue. So 700 might be an offerflow?!

I tested this little script with a funny result:
"
#! /bin/bash
echo $STOP_ON_ERROR
exit $STOP_ON_ERROR
"
The result of "./testvar.sh ; echo $?" is:
"
700
188
"

Anyway. I want to stop the whole install process in case of an upcoming
error. Has anyone an idea?

Regards,

Steven