FAIBASE/10-misc and hostname

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 12 11:01:04 CET 2013

    > sure there are reasons for what appears to me to be mixing up necessary
    > installation steps and facultative installation steps in a FAIBASE class. I'd
    > just like to understand them :).
Hi,

FAI major goal was always to be as flexible as possible but also like
to give some structure (the tasks and classes) to the user.

Most other installation tools define their essential steps (like
setting language, keyboard layout, disk patitioning,...) and then it's
up to the user to do all optional configuration steps in a self
written postinstall script. This is completely flexible but also with
not structure.

FAI wants to give more help to the user, by defining some tasks and
providing the use of FAI classes in all parts of the
installation/configuration process. But I never want to make FAI say
"This is the (only) way you have to install you computers". So, it's
not easy to say which steps are essential or which are optional (and
belong to the config space or belong in FAI itself). And therefore
some steps may be in the wrong part of FAI.