FAIBASE/10-misc and hostname

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Mon Mar 11 15:56:17 CET 2013

Hi Dirk,

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:17:05AM +0100, Dirk Geschke wrote:

[...]

> > I guess this and other 'issues' stem from misusing the 'simple' example.
> > It's really just that, it's an example. It's not a reference impementation.
> > But it is used as such. (I don't blame anybody for this 'misusage'. It's
> > just the way it is.) The problem is there's no implied guarantee that the
> > fai 3.x example is compatible to the 4.x config space example. It's just an
> > example.
>
> That's the point. I started to use 4.x instead of 3.x. Since I expected
> some changes (improvements?) I started with the example scripts again.
> Especially the package files might have changed for wheezy compared to
> squeeze.

[...]

> Sounds good, there seems to be a big problem with FAI: The first steps
> are very cumbersome and I remember the documentation was not very helpful.
> Afterwards, when I got it up and running, I found nearly all in the
> documentation...
>
> It looks like there is a gap between "beginners" and "advanced users".
> But I can't say, where it is nor how to fill it...

I would like to take the chance to point to the Debian-LAN project
[1], an attempt to provide a FAI config space [2] which might be used
to deploy a full-featured local area network environment based on Debian.

Perhaps this 'more complicated' example can be of help and inspiration
sometimes. (Probably not in this particular case).

Best regards,

     Andi

[1] <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN>
[2] <URL:http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/debian-lan.git>