FAIBASE/10-misc and hostname

Dirk Geschke dirk at lug-erding.de
Mon Mar 11 09:31:08 CET 2013

Hi all,

I stumbled over FAIBASE/10-misc and setting of the hostname. This
has changed in FAI-4, in earlier versions there was something like:

   fcopy /etc/hostname || echo $HOSTNAME     > $target/etc/hostname

The first part is strange (who would fcopy the hostname file?) but
the second half would set the hostname during installation based
on the given hostname.

I have the problem, that the dhcp server is not sending the hostname
(and I can't change this) and so I set it on the append line used by
PXE-boot.

But with 4.0 I am now ending up with hostname (none), which is not
a good starting point for class definition...

No question, this is easy to fix. But maybe someone else has the
same problem?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to gather all the pitfalls and put it
on a Tips&Tricks Webpage?

Best regards

Dirk