dracut "mount.nfs: Connection timed out"

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Fri Jun 7 10:56:33 CEST 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 11:46 +0300, Toomas Tamm wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 09:51 +0200, Clément LAGRANGE wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I had to specify the NFS server by IP for the root to mount...
> > No idea why though.
>
> I can second that. With wheezy, I had to explicitly specify
> nfsroot=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:/wrk/fai/nfsroot64 while earlier, just
> nfsroot=/wrk/fai/nfsroot64 was enough.
>
> Perhaps this needs to be documented somewhere if it already is not.

I checked my notes and can add some detail. Until squeeze, the system
(live-boot) tried to mount the NFS root from the same IP address as the
TFTP server. In squeeze, however, it (dracut) defaults to the DHCP
server's IP address. In my setup, the DHCP server is separate from the
TFTP+FAI server, so specifying an explicit IP address became necessary.

Toomas