Has anybody had good luck using FAI where it repartitions on a system that previously contained an lvm setup?

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Thu Jul 11 11:53:41 CEST 2013

I can confirm that disks with LVM can not be cleanly re-installed with
FAI 4.0.6. A wipefs command fails, causing the whole setup-storage to
fail.

We have only a couple of such systems, all with LVM on top of RAID1, and
for these, I have a hook to task partition with the following content:

vgremove -f lv1
mdadm --stop /dev/md0
mdadm --stop /dev/md1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=10240 count=100000
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=10240 count=100000

Perhaps not all of this is necessary (such as zeroing a whole gigabyte
of disk), but this combination reliably wipes both the kernel data and
actual disk sufficiently to enable a clean reinstall.

Regards,

Toomas

On Wed, 2013-07-10 at 15:05 -0500, Ken Hahn wrote:I
'm trying to get FAI working for an install of several labs using
> Debian Wheezy.  I'm using the latest wheezy install of FAI (which is
> version 4.0.6).
>
> My install process has worked fine when I empty out the disk (dd
> if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024 count=512 is my friend) of the client
> machine.  However, when I try to reinstall on top of a previous system
> which used LVM, I continually have failures.  This led me to a few
> questions specifically about setup-storage:
[...]