FAI setup-storage problem

RU Admin lvs-user at camden.rutgers.edu
Mon Jan 7 14:27:44 CET 2013

FAI's setup-storage isn't calculating disk sizes properly for some reason.
When the FAI install process goes to partition the hard drive, I get the
following error:
   Disk /dev/sda is too small - at least 250062307328 bytes are required
NOTE the above "250062307328" vs the "250059350016" (refer to below info)
that's actually available on the drive.

Here's my DISK_DISK1 config file:
   disk_config disk1 align-at:1M disklabel:msdos fstabkey:uuid bootable:1
   primary  /            30G      ext4  rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
   primary  /home        15G-     ext4  rw,noatime,nosuid            createopts="-L home -m 1"    tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
   logical  /var         2G       ext4  rw,noatime                   createopts="-L var -m 5"     tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
   logical  swap         4G       swap  sw
   logical  /tmp         4G       ext4  rw,noatime                   createopts="-L tmp -m 0"     tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"

The hard drive in the system is a 250GB drive:
   % parted -s /dev/sda unit B print free
     Model: ATA ST9250410ASG (scsi)
     Disk /dev/sda: 250059350016B
     Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
     Partition Table: msdos
     Number  Start   End            Size           Type  File system  Flags
             32256B  250059350015B  250059317760B        Free Space

   % parted -s /dev/sda unit chs print free
     Model: ATA ST9250410ASG (scsi)
     Disk /dev/sda: 30401,80,62
     Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
     BIOS cylinder,head,sector geometry: 30401,255,63.  Each cylinder is 8225kB.
     Partition Table: msdos
     Number  Start  End          Type  File system  Flags
             0,1,0  30401,80,62        Free Space

I would think it's the "primary /home 15G- .." line that's causing the
problem, my guess is that setup-storage is making it too large.  I tried
changing it to a "logical /home 15G-" to see if that would make a
difference, and it didn't.  I then tried removing the "align-at:1M" and
that actually did fix the problem...HOWEVER...it's not an option for me
because then I can't ever use the "preserve" options to preserve a
partition, because then setup-storage complains that the partition
boundaries don't match up, etc. etc.    So in order to use any of the
"preserve" options, I need to use the "align-at:1M" option.  If
interested in that problem you can refer to the FAI mailing list archives:
   https://lists.uni-koeln.de/pipermail/linux-fai/2012-October/009859.html

So does anyone have a clue how I can modify setup-storage to fix the
current problem of not calculating the partition sizes correctly?
"setup-storage -d" doesn't give any more information then what I've
already listed above.  My guess is that it's the extended/logical volumes
that are causing the problem, because if I create a disk config like
this with no logical volumes:
   disk_config disk1 align-at:1M disklabel:msdos fstabkey:uuid bootable:1
   primary  /            30G      ext4  rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
   primary  /home        15G-     ext4  rw,noatime,nosuid            createopts="-L home -m 1"    tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
Then everything is fine.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Craig