Fwd: Re: functionality

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Feb 22 10:52:37 CET 2013

    > So using FAI "simple" example -- the native distro on the server
    > should build clones with the same distro for the client that
    > exists on the server using /etc/fai/... data structure. Variation on
    > archetecture and application packages is built into
    > .../package_config/... and  /etc/fai/NFSROOT... but only for one distro.
No, you can put all information for different distro into one config
space in /srv/fai/.... Therefore you should use the FAI classes.

You also need only one nfsroot for installing different distros if
they are of the same architecture (like amd64). One FAI user is using
this setup since many years. He's using a Debian nfsroot and isntalls
different Debian and different Ubuntu versions by just using the one
nfsroot. Therefore he uses different basefiles.  This is another nice
part of FAI which makes FAI more flexible and complicated ;-)

    > /etc/fai-debian.squeeze/...   We begin building a list of distros as
    > /etc/fai-distro.release/... so that .../NFSROOT may be taylored to build
    > with kernel-sensitive packages like inetramfs vs dracut for each
    > distro.  Seems like upstart also is part of the mix.
It's sufficient to have one /etc/fai-amd64, one /etc/fai-i386 and one
/etc/fai-arm.

    > Likely that applications also vary, thus /srv/fai/config could also to
    > be a similar structure perhaps /srv/fai-distro.release/... so that the
No. You may have all configuration data for all your install clients
in one structure. But you can also use differen directory structures
for that.