Will FAI work to install F19?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 06:32:09 CEST 2013

The Wiki reads (according to Google, dated 01/02/2013) "FAI can
install different Linux distributions like Redhat, CentOS, Scientific
Linux Cern, Fedora, openSUSE, SuSE, Ubuntu and of course Debian."

I was excited to see Fedora mentioned.... as it is my everyday distro
(currently F19)

HOWEVER when I visited the main page I read "
Features
Installs and updates Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL, SuSe, ..."

But Fedora is not explicitely mentioned there, and since the main page
looks newer than the wiki, I wonder..

Finally, on the wiki at
http://wiki.fai-project.org/wiki/FAI_multi-distribution#RHEL5_and_6
I read "FAI 4.0 can also install SCL 5 and 6. Ready-made basefiles are
available at http://fai-project.org/download/basefiles/"

So, never having used FAI before,
1. I find the terminology confusing
2. I mean, I can SUSPECT what basefiles are, but from reading the main
page, the wiki, qnd the download page, the user is not introduced to
the concept of basefiles. Suggestion: talk about and define basefiles
EARLY
3. Explain clearly -and early ie: main page and wiki- if Fedora 19+ is
supported, and if each new release of a given distro needs "basefiles"
compiled/packaged by the FAI devs, or new releases of a supported
distro are immediately supported without extra effort by the FAI
maintainers or if FAI always has to play catch up... (that is still
not clear to me).

Having said that, kudos from down under and thanks for what looks like
a useful piece of software. I hope my "total newbie" questions and
viewpoint helps you guys improve the wording on the site/docs/wiki...

Im downloading two of the ISOs as I write this...
FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell