FAI performance

Michael Senizaiz trellph at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:22:01 CEST 2012

Sounds to me like you have a network issue, NFS timeouts shouldn't occur
unless there are lost packets -- if the disk is stuck in I/O wait the NFS
process can still respond.  Check your interfaces and switches for
dropped/errored packets.  You should be able to host hundreds of clients
off a 1G, it would just be slower.  The fai NFS config space hosts very
little data, most of the action is spent transferring the .deb's via HTTP,
and not NFS.  Each step only requires reading in a couple small files
(class definitions, .var files, scripts) and it would take an obscene
amount of hosts accessing these small files to use up a 10g link.

If your config space is over a meg in total, I'd be surprised.   This is
not the issue.

I have some large tarballs in mine (a few gig) and it moves along smoothly
with 100 nodes going at once.