setup-storage/parted problems with FAI 4.0.3 (also with 3.4.8ubuntu2)

Peter Langer langerpr at iis.fraunhofer.de
Thu Sep 6 14:22:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

i have a computer with Win7 pre-installed and i'd like to install FAI on
it. Everything seems to work fine, however i get this warning:
"Preserved partition /dev/sda1 does not end at a cylinder boundary,
parted may fail to restore the partition!"
Grub installs fine and i can boot Linux without problems. However my
Windows doesn't boot anymore ( status 0xc000000e ). I can fix the
Windows issue using the Win7 DVD but that's not really something i want
to do on multiple computers.
I'll try to give you as much information as possible.

Here is the "debug=1 disklist=sda setup-storage" output
http://pastebin.com/2dEGqP2D ( the output is missing STDERR stuff as i
couldn't seem to 2>&1 properly. The STDERR output doesn't contain
anything of interest though except for the warning ).

I also tried installing Windows 7 in Virtualbox ( killing the 100mb
partition that Windows 7 creates ) and installing FAI afterwards. The
same problem occurs.

I hope you can help me here as i'm trying for weeks now to fix this.

Regards,

Peter