setup-storage+gpt: alignment aware?

andrew bezella abezella at archive.org
Tue Mar 20 00:11:51 CET 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-19 at 23:32 +0100, Thomas Neumann wrote:
[...]
> Additional question 1)
>   What is the difference between disklabel:gpt and disklabel:gpt-bios?
>   Refering to http://wiki.fai-project.org/wiki/Setup-storage 'gpt-bios'
>   should not be a valid keyword: disklabel:(msdos|gpt)

the gpt-bios disklabel creates an additional partition with the
bios_grub flag set, which allows the bios to access the stages of grub
that don't fit in the mbr (see below).  if your computer has uefi/efi
instead of bios then i believe you'd use straight-up gpt.  (nb. lacking
such a computer, i have not tested this.)

> Additional question 2)
>    Is there a way to make setup-storage create the gpt bios partition as
> partition 1
>    instead of 3? Rationale: Nothing technical. Just a cosmetical issue:
> It looks better
>    to me.

the reasoning from /usr/share/fai/setup-storage/Sizes.pm:
      # on gpt-bios we'll need an additional partition to store what doesn't fit
      # in the MBR; this partition must be at the beginning, but it should be
      # created at the very end such as not to invalidate indices of other
      # partitions

--
andrew bezella <abezella at archive.org>
Internet Archive