Still having problem with configuring FAI

Michael Senizaiz trellph at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 15:39:33 CEST 2012

If your kernel append lines only difference is that you are referencing a
different kernel and initrd with all the other bits the same I would
suggest adding the /lib/modules/`64 bit kernel` into the initrd of the i386
and boot with that.

This portion of the boot isn't actually FAI specific, but just part of the
initrd boot up process.  If your 64-bit kernel isn't a debian style kernel
with script/live etc. then it won't get all the variables the same (or if
it's using a different method for setting up the network, the rootserver
variable is actually set by the binary /bin/ipconfig in the initrd)

It would be helpful if you posted your PXE boot config for both kernels.

Have a look here at what I found about the way networking is set up with
the initrd.

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fai@uni-koeln.de/msg04573.html