Still having problem with configuring FAI

Michael Senizaiz trellph at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:28:22 CEST 2012

This is occuring because the DHCP server isn't sending over ROOTSERVER, or
you are configuring with a static IP so rootserver doesn't get set by the
DHCP server.

Some of the networking bits must have changed in the debian kernel since
the documentation was written.
I got around this for USB/CD booting w/ network install, and also when NFS
server is not the DHCP server by adding the following to the init script:

/srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/live:

·         Here are the relative line numbers.  We are adding a case
statement, and then re-setting the ROOTSERVER variable after do_netsetup in
the do_netmount() function.  This also sets the SERVER variable for
updating the tftp boot file.

                                                               i.
  52
            SERVER=*)

                                                             ii.
 53
server="${ARGUMENT#SERVER=}"

                                                            iii.
 54
export server

                                                           iv.
55
;;

                                                             v.
679
ROOTSERVER=$server

recreate the initrd

        # chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir update-initramfs -k
all -t -u

And copy it to your USB, CD Image, or TFTP folder

        #cp /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir/boot/initrd.img-VERSION
/srv/tftp/fai/

Then add the 'SERVER=0.0.0.0' to your kernel append line, replacing 0.0.0.0
with your NFS server.

Here are the only instances where the variable is used (so for boot=live or
boot=nfs, but root=/dev/nfs will work for boot=live as well)

scripts/live:           NFSROOT=${ROOTSERVER}:${ROOTPATH}

scripts/live:           NFSROOT=${ROOTSERVER}:${NFSROOT}

scripts/nfs:                    NFSROOT=${ROOTSERVER}:${ROOTPATH}

scripts/nfs:                    NFSROOT=${ROOTSERVER}:${NFSROOT}