Working example of LVM + RAID?

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Thu Jun 14 08:53:50 CEST 2012

Dear all,

With all sorts of problems popping up concering setup-storage, can
someone please share a solution which actually works for the following
(or similar) scenario:

The machine has two 1TB SATA disks. The disks should contain typical
partitions for /, /usr, etc, a swap area, and a large LVM volume, which
shall be later partitioned manually for use by virtual machines. I would
not mind if the /, /usr, etc also reside on the LVM, should this make
things easier.

The data should be mirrored in a RAID1 fashion. The system must be able
to boot(!) and run if either of the disks fail.

What would be the best path to follow? Mirror the whole disks and put
all the partitioning onto the md0 device? Or create partitions on both
disks independently and then pair these up in RAID? At what level is it
best to introduce LVM?

Since this is a one and unique server, I might even consider doing the
whole disk partitioning manually or in a custom hook to work around any
existing bugs in setup-storage.

Any suggestions and recommendations (including working examples of
setup-storage config files) welcome!

Toomas