FAI and diskless clients

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Jan 17 23:21:07 CET 2012

    > from what FAI produces.  The directory /opt is exported via NFS (I
    > can't use NFSv4, right?).
NFS v4 for the root file system is not supported by initramfs and
live-boot. But if you need FNS v4 only for /opt, just mount it later.

    > I was not able to figure out what boot=live exactly means.  What is
This is described in live-boot(7).

    > great.  If the machine is unknown to dhcp/dns  it picks up 'host'.
    > Can I easily modify or influence this behavior?  What's the
    > recommended implementation?
I recommend using DHCP. But I guess live-boot has more options to
define the host name.

    > Problems I encountered before on debian-edu are security aspects:  We
    > would like to use Kerberos and NFSv4 for mounting the home
    > directories.
That should be possible.

P.S.: NFS v4 for the root file system is possible using dracut instead
of initramfs-tools and live-boot. I did this a few days ago, but it's
not yet documented.