Problem with fai-mirror and Ubuntu 12.04

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Mon Dec 17 11:52:17 CET 2012

Hello,

I am trying to build a FAI CD using fai-cd, which has previously worked
with Ubuntu 10.04 just fine. Now I'm trying the same using Ubuntu 12.04,
and I came across two problems:

1.) There is a bug in apt-move which causes it to break with
/usr/bin/apt-move: 1230: /usr/bin/apt-move: cannot open
/tmp/MOVE_kWk6SA/make_pkg_files-fifo2: Interrupted system call"
The bug is documented as Debian bug #639770, but currently unresolved. I
decided to build the CD on Ubuntu 10.04 instead.

2.) Using Ubuntu 10.04, creating the local repo for Ubuntu 12.04 clients
with apt-move works, but fai-mirror fails in the next step with:
/usr/bin/fai-mirror: line 312: $pfile: ambiguous redirect
/usr/bin/fai-mirror: line 313: $pfilegz: ambiguous redirect
I found out this is because there are multiple 'Package' files under
$mirrordir/dists, namely
$mirrordir/dists/precise/binary-i386/main/Packages,
$mirrordir/dists/precise/binary-i386/universe/Packages and
$mirrordir/dists/precise/binary-i386/non-free/Packages.
The latter two contain only one package each, sword-language-pack-en in
universe and w32-codecs (from the medibuntu repository) in non-free. I
guess this is because these packages contain hard-coded Sections
'universe/text' resp. 'non-free/graphics' in their control file.
How could this be solved? I could probably ditch sword-language-pack-en,
but I definitely need w32codecs.

I am (still) using FAI 3.4.8 and waiting for the docs to get updated to
FAI 4...

Thanks,
Andreas