micro-patch for setup-storage

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Mon Aug 27 21:27:43 CEST 2012

Hello

Brian Kroth <bpkroth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> @Brian: I successfully tested this patch with your disk config. However I
>>        had to remove 'preserve_reinstall:vg-local.hd' since setup-storage
>>        does not recognize this option.

> Since when?  It's still in the man page.  That is/was a very useful
> feature.

Hmm. Okay. So I should have specified the initial flag manually and then it's
fine - or at least supposed to work. I haven't used preserving much yet and
didn't look into it any further because I received a rather nasty 'array not
initialized' error. May have tried to consult the documentation if there was
an actual error message like 'preserve used but nothing preservable found'.
Back then I just assumed I had found another bug.

>> I helped Brian fix his problem, because it's also my problem.

> And I thank you very much for that good sir.

Heartily appreciated.

> With your patches, an initial install of the attached MD_RAID1 + LVM
> disk_config works, but a subsequent preserve_reinstall (without initial
> flag) fails with a non-zero return code from "Executing: mdadm --stop
> --scan".  Full output is attached.
>
> Actually, debug is pastebined here:
> http://pastebin.com/Aje1tXF9
>
> Might have something to do with the RAID not having finished rebuilding
> yet.

I can try to have a look into it, but I'm not promising anything. It seems
like your pushing the edges on what's possible with setup-storage. What's
next? Encryption? *g* For starters I would recommend modifying
/usr/sbin/setup-storage and replace execute with a print message:

Turn

  &FAI::execute_command($FAI::commands{$_}{cmd});

into

  print '[fake-mode] $FAI::commands{$_}{cmd} . "\n";

That way you can see the list of commands and have a visual check on what
is supposed to be done. Check if anything strange is executed or the order
is messed up.

bye
thomas