Subject: Wheezy nfsroot / FAI 4.0.3

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Fri Aug 17 17:47:17 CEST 2012

Hi Steffen,

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 02:51:34PM +0200, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 07:04:16PM +0200, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 07:51:01AM +0200, Bjarne Bertilsson wrote:
> > >
> > > live-boot3.0(~a35-1) is broken on wheezy. If you run ipconfig in the
> > > initramfs shell the network will properly come up. There is
> > > a bug report on this somewhere but weren't able to find it just now
> > > with a quick search. I fixed it temporarily by pinning an earlier
> > > version of the package from snapshot.debian.org.
> >
> > I'm trying the two patches mentioned in bug #683240 now - as long as there's
> > no proper documentation for the live-boot -> dracut transition, I prefer to
> > stay on known terrain.
> >
> > Unfortunately, this involved patching the existing live-boot package (a38),
> > rebuilding the debs, and re-running the nfsroot build - which will not
> > finish in time before I have to leave. But I'm optimistic.
>
> I shouldn't have been too optimistic.
>
> While the network device config patches apparently worked, I'm still having
> major issues.

[...]

> - any tips how to do this, without having to *build* a new live-boot package,
> and creating a new nfsroot?
> - any suggestions which additional settings to use?

I tested today with the latest live-boot and live-boot-initramfs-tools
packages from sid (3.0~b1-1).  After creating the nfs chroot, I
installed the live* packages manually in the chroot, updated the
initramfs and copied it to the tftp pxe space.

After that, things started working.  However, fai fails with "No URL
defined for config space" ...

The problem might be solved by adding the appropriate line in fai.conf
in the chroot. The line is unfortunately commented here :-( , perhaps since
that commit:

https://github.com/faiproject/fai/commit/00680686dc8751a9c7623fb65a956ab7ddf6af5a

Good luck, hopefully we can still fix these issues for wheezy,

     Andi