Ubuntu 12.04b2 and nfs-kernel-server problem (incl. fix)

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Fri Apr 6 17:29:08 CEST 2012

Hello

I was updating my Ubuntu FAI-server to 12.04 beta2 and suddenly I couldn't
mount the nfsroots anymore during netinstall.

The reason seems to be related to the upcoming /usr merge
(http://lwn.net/Articles/477467/).

/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server may contain:

$PREFIX/bin/rpcinfo -u localhost nfs 3 >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
    RPCMOUNTDOPTS="$RPCMOUNTDOPTS --no-nfs-version 3"

But rpcinfo may still be located in /usr/sbin which makes the check fail
and disable nfs3!

Recommended solution: Update to a newer nfs-kernel-server package (e.g.
1:1.2.5-3ubuntu2)

rpcinfo -u localhost nfs 3 >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
    RPCMOUNTDOPTS="$RPCMOUNTDOPTS --no-nfs-version 3"

afterwards test with 'rpcinfo -u localhost nfs 3'
expected result:

program 100003 version 3 ready and waiting

bye
thomas