fai 3.4.8

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:50:52 CEST 2011

hi,

I am testing the upgrade of a lenny fai server to serve squeeze
images. I am using the packages from the fai-project.org/squeeze.

# dpkg -l | grep -i fai
ii  fai-client                         3.4.8
Fully Automatic Installation client package
ii  fai-doc                            3.4.8
Documentation for FAI
ii  fai-quickstart                     3.4.8
Fully Automatic Installation quickstart package
ii  fai-server                         3.4.8
Fully Automatic Installation server package
ii  fai-setup-storage                  3.4.8
automatically prepare storage devices

I copied the /etc/fai folder to /etc/fai.squeeze, edited
make-fai-nfsroot.conf to point to a config.squeeze and nfsroot.squeeze
folder, exported those folders in nfs.

I then recreated the nfsroot using the new config:

# make-fai-nfsroot -C /etc/fai.squeeze

Then I copied the initrd and vmlinuz files to the /srv/tftp/fai/
folder and modified the pxelinux.cfg/defaul file to point to the new
kernel:

default fai-generated

label fai-generated
kernel vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-486
append initrd=initrd.img-2.6.32-5-486 ip=dhcp  root=/dev/nfs
nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot.squeeze boot=live
FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,reboot FAI_ACTION=install

Subsequently, I can now boot and install squeeze hosts, which is great.

My problem is that I want to align the partitions (virtual
environment, partitions must be well aligned or they wiil not perform
ideally). So I change the disk_config file:

disk_config disk1 align-at:4k disklabel:msdos

primary  /             150-       ext3   rw,errors=remount-ro
logical  swap          200-1000   swap   rw

and reboot and then it fails:

starting setup-storage 1.3
syntax error
Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/FAIBASE
Error in task partition. Traceback: task_error task_partition task
task_install task task_action task main
FATAL ERROR. Installation stopped

If I remove the align-at:4k piece, it works, but then the partitions
are not properly aligned.

Something that surprises me is that during the installation I can read
the FAI header and the version is not 3.4.8, but 3.4.7. Maybe is this
the problem? Why is it using 3.4.7 when I upgraded to 3.4.8?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Groeten,
natxo