Direct FAI to install medium..?

Jurrie Overgoor jurrie at stillus.nl
Fri Sep 2 10:13:56 CEST 2011

Hello everyone,

I have a FAI usb stick that installs my machines. It installs the
machine, and then copies itself onto a recovery partition. This is used
to re-install the machine in case of errors. This all works fine.

The problem is: sometimes I update my USB stick, and I want to do a
clean re-install of the machine (and in the process: update the recovery
partition). But, when I boot from the USB stick, FAI detects my recovery
partition BEFORE it detects my USB stick, and thus mounts my recovery
partition. Then, FAI happily installs, but does this from the (older
version) recovery partition.

I can circumvent this by logging in to the machine, use fdisk to destroy
the recovery partition, and then install from USB stick. But this is
manual work.

Is there a way to say to FAI that it should check for USB sticks before
checking the harddisk partitions?

With kind regards,

Jurrie