want to setup FAI on a running server

J. Bakshi bakshi12 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 19:33:02 CEST 2011

Dear All,

A newbie here, just joined the list to explore the FAI.

I have a running debain server which is doing many responsibilities,
started from gateway, then apache,mysql,vsftpd,samba,git etc.. server
and finally a DHCP too. I like to install the FAI too on this very server.
I have some question in mind and like to solve it before going further.

- I already have DHCP running. What modification should I add to work it with FAI ?

- How to disable the DHCP comes with FAI ?

- I like to provide debian, ubuntu as well as windows for the client. So How can I make the
images and more than that how to configure so that during installation the kernel adjust
itself with the client H/W. Clients are Desktop as well as laptop from different make and
sometimes assembled too.

- clients must have firefox,filezilla,thunderbird etc.. for both linux and windows.
How can I predefined it ? Linux has repos, but what should I do with windows ?

- Is it possible to use the extended free partition to use for installation,
with out touching the existing partitions and data ?

- In Linux; during installation it detects the installed window/Linux OS (if any) and
add the grub.cfg accordingly. Is it possible with FAI ?

Please guide me to have a start. A beginners guide (web link) is very much welcome.

Thanks