what's the correct way to declare LVM on entire disk ?

Mathieu Alorent malorent at echo.fr
Fri Oct 28 15:16:05 CEST 2011

On 16/12/2010 14:47, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Hi Mât,
>
> [...]

Hi,

I'm sorry for resurrecting an old thread...

> I finally got around to look into this and it might be that indeed it would be
> better not to declare this configuration as being "correct" - and go for another
> one instead. Could you give the following configuration a try?

[...]

> disk_config disk2
> raw-disk - 0 - -

[...]

> disk_config lvm
> vg MYVG			disk2
> MYVG-MYPV			/part		30G-	xfs rw
>
> The problem with entirely leaving out disk2/sdb is that setup-storage does not
> know whether it may put a new disk label on that device or whether that would
> corrupt a disk setup-storage should not have touched. With the above config it
> is made explicit that setup-storage is to configure the disk the way it needs to
> be configured. Well, and going without a (temporary) disk label poses problems
> with parted, which refuses to display the geometry of a device without a disk
> label. Without such information, however, setup-storage cannot determine the
> size of the volumes that will end up on disk2/sdb, e.g., the 30G- volume.
>
> Mât, could you please give this config another try?

Adding the "raw-disk" statement worked until our recent migration from
experimental branch of FAI to stable (3.4.8) branch from squeeze.

Now the syntax "raw-disk - 0 - -" is not understood anymore.
It fails with error "Volume group raw has not been declared yet"

->
Starting setup-storage 1.3
Volume group raw has not been declared yet.
Using config file: /tmp/fai/DISK_CONFIG-TEST.unified
[: 19: -eq: unexpected operator

If I remove the part:
 > disk_config disk2
 > raw-disk - 0 - -

from my disk_config it works, BUT, sometimes, we get the error
"Parted could not read a disk label (new disk?)"
which appear also in a mail from same thread (on 06/12/2010 13:34)

I'm wondering if something is broken now, or if the disk_config syntax
has changed (and I should replace the raw-disk by something else) or
whatever I don't think about...

Thanks for you lights
Mât