Problem partitioning dual-boot

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 4 18:01:52 CEST 2011

Before we go any further on this problem, I should ask if anybody else is
creating dual-boot systems with Windows 7 and FAI? I think an important
thing to know would be whether this is a FAI problem or if its just me.  I
am doing a rather weird Win7 install with an autounattend.xml answer file.
So maybe its just me.

Michael Tautschnig" <mt at debian.org>
To: "John G. Heim" <jheim at math.wisc.edu>
>> 3. When I do a FAI install on a Win 7 system, the Win 7 system won't
>> boot. I can't see the message because I'm blind but it is something
>> about the partition being damaged or unbootable.
>>
>[...]
>
>I'm still pretty puzzled about this problem. I'm short of asking you to hex
>dump
>your master boot record. The only option I do see, and please excuse for
>asking
>about this: are you really sure that the partition is ultimately corrupted
>and
>that it isn't Win 7 saying that it just has to run chkdsk once, but will
>run
>fine afterwards?

The main message is that "A required device is inaccessible." It also says
that a system changed has caused the problem and that I should insert my
Windows disk, reboot, and select the repair option.

>Hmm, maybe Windows 7 stores additional information in the MBR? Would you be
>able
>to follow the recovery advice given here:
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringWindows#Resizing%20Windows%20Vista%20/%207%20Partitions

None of those disk talk. To install Windows, I have an autounattend.xml
answer file which gets me to the point where I can start a screen reader
system. But the operating system has to be mostly installed before I can
start the screen reader.  Sorry.

I could ask my co-worker to run the Windows repair but, in fact, that would
be counter-productive because the next time I need to run FAI I'd just have
the same problem again.