lvm unbootable disk

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:38:58 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Thomas Neumann
<blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de> wrote:
>> does anybody have a working config for lvm setup-storage with one
>> disk? This is on on a vmware vm, but that should not matter.
>
> # configure physical partitions
> disk_config     disk1   bootable:1
> primary         /boot   100     ext2    rw,relatime     createopts="-b 2048"
> primary         swap    2048    swap    rw
> primary         -       4096-   -       -
>
> # configure volume manager
> disk_config lvm
> vg vg_system disk1.3
> vg_system-root          /               1536-   reiserfs        rw,relatime     createopts="-q"

thanks all for your input. Unfortunately it is not working yet and
have the same error:

gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:

- boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- check rootdelay (did the system wait for the right device?
- missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERt! /dev/mapper/pv-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell

this is my disk_config file, I am keeping it to the basics now just to
have it installed, later I will add other options.

disk_config     disk1   bootable:1
primary        /boot  500     ext3      rw
primary        -      4096-   -         -

disk_config lvm
vg         pv     disk1.2
pv-swap    swap   2048    swap      rw
pv-root    /      2048    ext3      rw

> Sidenote: Although it is possible to create swapspace as a LV it is
> strongly discouraged. A deadlock may happen under memory pressure between
> swap and lvm.

mmm, then why are all our redhat hosts installed like that out of the
box? Just wondering.

TIA,
--
natxo