How to handle large number of disk devices in "arbitrary" order?

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Wed Nov 16 13:47:17 CET 2011

On Tuesday 15 November 2011 12:02:25 Carsten Aulbert wrote:
> Hi

> <Carsten.Aulbert at aei.mpg.de> said:
> >     > Is there a way to force FAI to use UUID in /etc/fstab as well as
> >     > for grub?
> >
> > Yes. fstabkey:uuid
> >
> > E.g.: disk_config sda      fstabkey:uuid preserve_reinstall:8,9
>
> Darn, too well hidden in the EBNF description, sorry!

Ok, combining this with using the "regexp" and Michael's one line patch, it
works. (details: during FAI this device was sda, after reboot it became sdm,
thus without UUID there would be hardly a way to find the correct root device)

My remaining problem during booting was solved with adding an initrd to our
kernel (UUID root device on the kernel command line only works with initrd and
some logic in there)

So I think this problem is in principle solved! Thanks a bunch!

Cheers

Carsten