client hangs after eth0 becomes ready

Carsten Aulbert Carsten.Aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Tue Nov 15 11:59:57 CET 2011

Hi

On Tuesday 15 November 2011 11:50:04 W Forum W wrote:
> Please any help oder ideas

Actually that is exactly my second problem (cf yesterday's email).

> >> Does you server has multiples interfaces? If so use the kernel
> >> arguments: live-netdev=eth0

This one does not always help, as device number is not stable. On the server I
currently face the problems with many disks I face the same as it has 4 NICs
connected to it.

Sometimes it seems that appending

IPAPPEND 3

the the pxelinux.cfg file helps, sometimes it does not.

Using live-netdev=ethX to force it seems to work mostly, but as said it's not
stable. Ideally, the scripts in the initrd should try to re-use the interface
it got the initial kernel and initrd from as I guess this will be the case for
close to 100% of the cases. IPAPPEND 3 should do that trick if I understand it
correctly (there were a few threads on this list months(years?) ago on that.

However, it does not always work :(

So far, I have yet to find a solution for it as well

Carsten