How to handle large number of disk devices in "arbitrary" order?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Nov 15 11:14:09 CET 2011

    > We have a couple of machines with a largish number of disk drives (currently
    > up to 48) plus one or more "flash drives" - could be USB thumb drive, SATA
    > disk on module, SSD, whatever. Of course the order in which these are detected
    > is not always guaranteed to be the same which makes using setup-storage
    > cumbersome and/or impossible to partition/install.

    > What would be the proper way to address this problem in FAI 3.4.8 if any?

A different approach is to manipulate the shell variable $disklist.
This variable is used by setup-storage and can be set by any script
called class/*.var or class/*.source

In such a script you could do anything that ensures the variable
$disklist lists the DOM device as the first disk.

P.S.: In the past, the disks in $disklist are only allowed to be
separated by newline. This patch fixes it:
https://github.com/faiproject/fai/commit/aa7822dd91165aa29d5e1f335b8f3ae3e9c0c377