How to handle large number of disk devices in "arbitrary" order?

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Tue Nov 15 10:19:07 CET 2011

Hi

On Tuesday 15 November 2011 10:07:21 Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Would you mind patching your copy of setup-storage in order to further
> debug this? It should suffice to change line 100 of Parser.pm to
>
> $disk = `readlink -f $candidates[0]` if (scalar(@candidates) == 1);
>
> [was: $disk = $candidates[0] if (scalar(@candidates) == 1);]
>
> It's not too unlikely that we bump into further issues, but at least this
> should help us getting there.

That's working

Calling task_install
Calling task_partition
Partitioning local harddisks using setup-storage
Starting setup-storage 1.3
Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/BONN
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit B print free
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda unit chs print free
    Finding all volume groups
  No volume groups found
Executing: mdadm --examine --scan --verbose -c partitions
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary "ext3" 32256B 8052645887B
Executing: parted -s /dev/sda set 1 boot on
Executing: mkfs.ext3  /dev/sda1

Although a proper 'lstat' might be more perlish ;)

I'll see how the remaining install will proceed. After that I'll try using
setup-storage's 'md' interface with the 12 disk drives

Cheers

Carsten