Kernel complains about NTFS filesystem

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Fri Nov 11 20:51:12 CET 2011

Hello!

I am booting FAI with kernel 2.6.26-2-486 from a CD created with
"fai-cd -B". The machine has a partition with Windows XP on the hard
disk, the second half of the disk is free.

Before the kernel ever tries to mount NFS root (or even do DHCP
queries), it starts to complain: "NTFS-fs warning (device hda1):
load_system_files(): Unsupported volume flags 0x4000 encountered."

This goes on in a loop for about 90 seconds, then a "BOOT FAILED" screen
from Debian Live comes up and drops me into busybox prompt.

I have installed many dual-boot systems before, and this is the first
time I encounter this situation. I am willing to type something at the
busybox prompt if someone hints me, what? :-) I am not willing to
compile a custom kernel without NTFS support however, that machine is
not worth such an effort.

Alternatively, is it possible to disable the NTFS driver via some kernel
command-line parameter? I do not plan to do anything with that partition
during the FAI installation, just preserve it.

PS The Windows XP boots off that "unsupported" partition just fine and
chdisk happily reports that everything is OK.

The FAI version is 4.0~beta2+experimental45 , but since I never get past
the kernel booting, its only role was to supply the "fai-cd" script.

Toomas